With the inception of attachable keyboards, the line between tablets and laptops is growing thinner day by day. Although laptops are unbeatable, you can only get yourself a high-end or good rugged tablet.
But what does it mean by saying a good tablet? Well, that depends. The intended use and your budget are the determinants. How frequently do you want to use the rugged tablet for illustration? Is it meant for your work? Are you a construction manager? Answers to those questions help to define a good tablet which can either have a Windows or Android Operating System.
Both windows and Android systems have advanced features in an attempt to outwit the other. Since their inception, they have been engaging in wars.
Invented in the year 2003 by Andy Rubin, Android is argued to be the first-ever OS meant for Smartphones. Google went ahead to buy the Android system. Some of the various versions include Pie, Oreo, Nougat, Marshmallow, Kitkat, Jelly Bean, Honeycomb, Gingerbread, Eclairs, Donuts, and Cupcakes.
On the other hand, the Windows system was created much earlier in the year 1981 in the form of an interface manager. The initial version was Windows 1.0, all the way to Windows XP, and now we have Windows 10.
Each of the systems has had its fair deal of struggling to transform from PCs to smartphones, and tablets.
Let us have an in-depth discussion of those two systems used in rugged tablets;
What are the features and advantages of the Android system?
- Google Integration: Android tablets are integrated seamlessly with Google, which enables you to assume online classes. Also, you can easily access the contents found on Google Play. Better still, marketing and selling products, developing, deploying, and locating materials is hassle-free with the use of the Android system in conjunction with Google Play Store.
- Affordability: Among the tempting factors of an Android tablet is its low pricing. It is affordable. Its cheapness does not come at the expense of quality. It is of high-quality and time-tested for durability.
- Open Market: An Android tablet enables you to sell and purchase any product or service.
- Unlimited Applications: Regarding apps, Android tabs are far much ahead as compared to Windows. The Google Play Store is the hub for accessing and downloading limitless applications, and Windows can’t keep up with the pace.
What are the features and advantages of the Windows system?
For years now, Windows OS has dominated the workplace. Some of the reasons as to why Windows tablets outsmart their counterparts using the Android system are;
- Wide variety of options: When it comes to types, shapes, and sizes, Windows tablets are in plenty, unlike Android tablets. Their screen sizes range from 7 to 16.6inches whereas it is rare to find an Android tablet whose screen exceeds 10 inches.
- Efficiency in running several apps at a go: One of the top advantages of using a Windows tablet is its ability to run multiple applications without undermining performance conveniently. As for Android tablets, they will allow you to run several apps, but at the expense of excellent performance.
- Peripherals connectivity: Although a Windows tablet is dock worthy, it may appear to be overkill and redundant, the instant alternative is the plugin of peripherals. Nearly every Windows tablet has several USB ports in support of peripherals connectivity. Even though Android joined the trend and begun to offer similar functionality, the options are limited.
- High level of compatibility: A windows tablet allows you to plug in various components such as a keyboard, monitor, hard drive, and mouse. However, Android tablets have USB and HDMI ports, but they are often considered to be inconvenient.
Disadvantages of Windows over Android system
Whereas there are lots of benefits associated with a windows phone, it also comes with some setbacks. Let us have a look into what you could be sacrificing if you decided to choose a Windows tab over and Android tab.
- Higher price: While there are Windows tablets easy to afford, their functionality is not comparable to the higher priced ones. Thus, your budget helps to determine the features and quality of the Windows tab you are going to purchase. As compared to an Android tab, the Windows one is always costly for the similar features and the package altogether.
- Choice of apps: As compared to the Android system, Windows OS appears to be pale and also is not user-friendly with a scope of the apps offered. Although there can be several games going viral, you might be unable to install and play them on a Windows tablet due to incompatibility. With regards to user-friendliness and variety of apps, Windows lags far much behind in comparison with Android system.
- Security and protection: Just the same way your desktop/laptop requires antivirus installation for protecting and securing your information, so does a Windows tablet. It is a laptop’s smaller version and has all features found in a complete computer. Thus, the appropriate security should be taken into account to ensure the protection of every worker from malware and viruses.
- Accessories limit: Even though Windows rugged tablets offer exceptional support to peripherals, its adornment to accessories such as tailored keyboards and personal cases is limited. That is contrary to the Android system, which has a wide variety of accessories readily accessible in the marketplace for tailoring. More so, the support for third-parties is limited from one tablet to the other.
- Interface: Windows’ interface looks as if it suffers some delay when switching to the tablet mode. The Android tablets’ touch experience is unmatched due to their agility and sleekness. The higher Windows versions keep on improving that experience, but they still haven’t caught up with the Android system.
What factors should you consider when selecting a rugged tablet for industrial environments?
Finding the most appropriate rugged Windows or Android tablet that is convenient and efficient to use in an industrial environment calls for the following significant considerations;
- Flexibility for system upgrade: To manage and maintain functionalities, a production firm has the choice of several systems. However, a typical tablet might not provide for that. With time, the OS in use gets outdated with newer versions in place. Therefore, the tablet you choose to should be flexible enough to allow for the necessary changes.
- The capability of handling various industrial situations: Can the rugged tablet be used in dusty and dirty environments? Can it withstand extreme temperatures? If not, then look out for another option.
- Portability: Apart from being operated without being plugged in a power source, it should be able to withstand the frequent drops on the floor. That should happen without compromising its performance.
- Design of the touch screen: Since factory lighting can vary from extremely bright to extreme dim, your tablet’s readability should withstand that. Also, it should remain responsive even when using gloves.
- Water resistance: Can the tablet operate under higher humidity conditions? The ideal rugged tablet should withstand condensation and steams. That is because some industries such as pharmaceutical and, food and beverage operate under such circumstances.
The Final Thought
Whereas Windows tabs boast of multiple desktop apps, the Android operated tabs have an unlimited choice of user-friendly applications found on Google Play Store. The decision for buying an Android or Windows tablet remains yours. And if you want to import rugged tablet as your reseller products, you can contact ruggedsumo or read more about articles on how to import rugged tables from China